Following Lochners death, the land changed hands and size repeatedly and many names begin to appear on deeds. On 15 October 1813, in addition to the land granted by freehold title to Lochner, a piece of * quitrent land 17 morgen 566 square roods 24 square feet was granted to J B Hoffman and on 1 April 1833 another piece of quitrent land 36 morgen 221 square roods was granted to E George. Further owners include C. Napier, P.M. Dreyer and J.C. Fitzpatrick.
James Coleman Fitzpatrick, an Irishman, became a judge of the Cape Supreme Court in 1861, worked in the eastern Cape for a while and was then transferred to the Cape bench in 1869. In 1873 he bought two portions of land of what would later become Timour Hall Estate.
On 16 February 1875, Judge Fitzpatrick placed an advertisement in the Cape Argus, offering his property for rent, furnished or unfurnished. The important aspect of this advertisement is that the property was advertised as Timour Hall the earliest written use of the name.
A prospective tenant would have enjoyed the following: The residence of the judge with adjoining lands. The house consisted of parlour, dining and drawing rooms, ten bedrooms, kitchen, pantry, dairy, storeroom, bathrooms and closets as well as coach house, extensive stabling and water.
The land was stated to be approximately 70 morgen in extent, consisting of 35,000 vine stocks, extensive pasture and tillage, garden ground on either side of the Diep River, a perennial stream.
As a matter of interest, Judge Fitzpatrick was the father of Percy Fitzpatrick (later Sir) a politician and author of the book Jock of The Bushveld. The young Percy was a keen tennis player and it was not long before a tennis court was built on the property.
Shortly thereafter the Judge began selling off portions of the land. By 1881 64 morgen of the estate was owned by Mrs Aletta Jacoba Smith, descendant of a prominent Cape family, the Duckitts, who owned various farms in both Constantia and Darling.
Slowly the Estate lost more of its surrounding land. By 1898 Jacobus Stephanus Marais became the owner of slightly more than 20 morgen and remained so until 1936. It was he who probably built the existing portico.
With suburban development on the increase, the demand for land for housing overtook the increasingly economically marginal agricultural land. In 1936, 4 morgen were sold to a Mrs BT Townsend, wife of Walter Townsend of what was Oak Farm in Constantia, part of which now houses Herzlia Junior School.
More Timour Hall land was sold off and in 1952 the remaining 5.2093 morgen became the property of Dr D. Pfieffer. Dr Pfeiffer qualified as a medical doctor at the University of Cape Town and according to the Medical and Dental Council, Pretoria; he worked between 1928 and 1931 at the Municipal Health Department in Bloemfontein. While living at Timour Hall he advertised as a medical practitioner.
His widow, Mrs Marianne Edweline Pfeiffer, was the last private owner of the much diminished Timour Hall and interestingly, Mrs Pfeiffer (born Ruperti), had family connections with the abovementioned Duckitt family. She sold the remaining 5.2 morgen to the Cape Provincial Administration (CPA) in 1960.
At first the CPA had thought of building a school on the land, but instead it became a nursery and the house was declared a National Monument in 1977. The old building deteriorated and in time a great deal of restoration had to take place. This was done under the direction and guidance of well-known architect, Mr. Gawie Fagan.
In the book The Old Buildings of the Cape, by Dr Hans Fransen and Mary Alexander Cook, the authors state:
“Timour Hall This is the name given in 1878 by a later owner, Mrs Aletta Jacoba Smith (a granddaughter of William Duckitt), to a property on the banks of the Diep River. The present impressive homestead is entirely Victorian in appearance with a Cape Dutch gable surmounting a portico which covers part of the elevated stoep reached by an impressive flight of stairs. The voor- en agterhuis now houses a fine divided staircase, with a bay-window at the back. The refashionings probably took place during the ownership of Aletta Jacoba Smith. The house almost certainly incorporates a late 18th century building. Behind it is an irregularly shaped farmyard bounded by outbuildings, one of which, at right angles to the house, is a fine ballroom.” (Jonathan Ball Publishers)
At present, Timour Hall is leased to the International Police Association who are utilising it as a self-catering Guesthouse.
* “quitrent” land: rent paid by freeholder or copyholder in lieu of service